First Person Singular: Laura Lippman, 52, novelist, Baltimore

Lately, I fear that imagination has been getting a short shrift in the American novel. Everyone is so gung-ho on what they know and what is factual. Years ago, when I first got into crime fiction, I met the writer Donald Westlake, who is someone I really admired. He was being interviewed at a conference, and he said, "I became a novelist so I could make stuff up." It really resonated with me. As much as I admire fact, and I do like to do some research, isn't that the best part? Making stuff up? I believe in the power of imagination.

Read full article >>

Rosalind S. Helderman, Paul Kane 17 Dec, 2011


--
Source: http://feeds.washingtonpost.com/click.phdo?i=f9c5db6f7bef05664754fe4e7a6537d6
~
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Most Top Article

Follow Us

Hot in week

item