Lunchline: An iPad worth an arm, maybe not a leg

If you have difficulty viewing this newsletter, click here to view as a Web page.
Click here to view in plain text.
The Washington PostThursday, April 19, 2012
Lunchline with Clinton Yates in Partnership with Express
Advertisement

If it weren't for one questionable offside call last night at RFK Stadium, the city would have gone 3-for-3 on the night. The Wizards showed some grit, the Nats made things interesting, but DCU only managed a tie. Alas. Still, was fun to flip through all three.

I'm fairly certain that a little something known as the Watergate scandal started off with an office break-in. So when I heard news yesterday that two computers were stolen from the D.C. Auditor's office, I was intrigued. Mind you, this is the bureau working on the allegation of misappropriated funds by former D.C. Council member Harry Thomas, among other things. It also happened during the day on Monday, Emancipation Day, a D.C. holiday. The Post's D.C. Wire updates the shady situation.

Anyone's who ever had to do anything pre-dawn knows the feeling of satisfaction that comes with it. There's something about accomplishing goals when you know other people are most likely sleeping that makes the effort extra special. And for Rock Creek Rowing, a three-year-old club comprised mostly of 50-and-60-year-olds, it's no different. The Post's Robert Samuels chronicles the hobby that started for many parents with taking their kids to crew practice, and they picked up where their kids left off.

I haven't had anything stolen from me on Metro since I was a teenager. At this point, I honestly have no idea what I'd do if someone tried. I can tell you what I wouldn't do: I wouldn't break my arm trying to get an iPad back from a thief. But that's exactly what Daniel L. Wenger did, and it worked with the help of some other friendly riders, who gave him an assist when the thief went all-out and crossed the third rail to escape. The Post's Dana Hedgpeth reports on vigilante justice, Metro-style.

I'm not old enough to really remember "American Bandstand," and watching television on New Year's Eve was never huge to me. But what I do love are old game shows and award shows. And when I remember Dick Clark, that's what I'll think of. "The $10,000 Pyramid" was one of the goofiest but most fun programs of its time, and the AMAs are always a good time. After his death, Slate's Virginia Heffman recalls a 2003 piece about a run-in with the American entertainment icon.

The Capitals face an uphill battle trying to win one back tonight. Without Nicklas Backstrom, who was justly suspended for a cross-check in Game 3, Dale Hunter is clearly making line adjustments to account for his absence. Don't be surprised if Michal Neuvirth makes an appearance in this game. On a more important level, The Post's Tarik El-Bashir breaks down how the NHL playoffs have been ruined marked by violence.

Extra Bites

• Dear Mitt Romney, here's a word of advice: Never, ever, slam anyone's baked goods. It can only result in disaster. Unfortunately, he learned this lesson the hard way at a campaign stop in Pennsylvania.

• In an interesting coincidence, someone with the last name of Goodyear has written quite the piece about why we need new crash test dummies — for bicyclists.

• Guess what? Wikipedia is full of junk! But you already knew that, right?

Check out my Facebook fan page, my Twitter feed, or e-mail me at clinton.yates@wpost.com.

Get The Washington Post, your way.
Want to stay on top of the latest news, features, commentary and more? Here's how:
Mobile: Alerts: Social Media:
Applications
Web site
E-mail
SMS
RSS Feeds
Facebook
Twitter
SEND TO A FRIEND UNSUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER CENTER GET HELP
Washington Post Digital
E-mail Customer Care
1150 15th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20071
©2012 The Washington Post

Privacy Policy

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Most Top Article

Follow Us

Hot in week

item