Jackie Chan: From Drunken Master to man on a mission

Thank you for using rssforward.com! This service has been made possible by all our customers. In order to provide a sustainable, best of the breed RSS to Email experience, we've chosen to keep this as a paid subscription service. If you are satisfied with your free trial, please sign-up today. Subscriptions without a plan would soon be removed. Thank you!
SINGAPORE: Eight years in the making, his latest film "CZ12" sets out to "do more than just entertain", said action superstar Jackie Chan.

"I don't shoot films for the money anymore. I shoot films as a hobby, and to say what I feel," explained Chan, during a promotional visit to Singapore for "CZ12" on Tuesday.

He added that his films have evolved a great deal since his early years and have slowly become a medium for him to share his views on a variety of issues, and create a more "harmonious world".

"In 'Drunken Master' (1978), I just drink and fight … made people laugh, and collected my money.

"But later on I decided to do 'Drunken Master II' (1994) and tell people not to drink and not to fight," said Chan.

His latest film, "CZ12", also showcases many of his philosophies, and chief among them is his belief that the world would be a better place, if people could "respect one another's cultural heritage and respect one another's cultural artefacts".

Chan makes this very clear in the film's plot.

"CZ12" sees Chan play JC, a master thief who is hired by a shady antiques dealer to steal bronze animal heads, which were looted from the Old Summer Palace outside Beijing by the Anglo-French armies in 1860.

Along the way, JC struggles with his conscience and begins to question if it's better to return the bronze heads to the Chinese government, to whom they rightfully belong, or hand them over to his unscrupulous employers for his reward.

Straight talker

Some critics have claimed that Chan's message, as it is presented in "CZ12", is tainted by politics, and makes him appear a little pro-Chinese, but the 58-year-old actor disagreed.

"I don't know how to shoot a story about Egyptian artefacts, or Cambodian artefacts, I only know how to shoot a story about Chinese artefacts," said Chan.

"Too many people don't understand each other's culture, don't respect each other's culture, and that leads to conflict."

"I am just using this story about the Chinese artefacts as a means to tell people that the world should be peaceful and harmonious."

Chan has also copped flak for his recent remarks in which he called Hong Kong "a city of protest", and appeared to support more restrictions on protests there.

However, the actor is taking it all in his stride, and remains unperturbed by his film's critics, as well as the backlash his comments have sparked.

"I am living quite happily. Life is short. What have I got to be afraid of now? About money, about people not liking me? The era where I am bothered by these things has passed.

"I just use my way of thinking and say what I feel."

"Know this – my intentions are good," said the screen veteran earnestly, pointing out that there are always many ways of interpreting things.

"My intentions are good. It may be that the words I use, or my way of thinking is incorrect, but in everything I do, I never set out to target anybody. You can see this in my films."

"Don't make me out to be some sort of Superman. I am just a normal person like you – I need to pee, eat and drink.

"With whatever I say, I just hope to do good for the world, its countries and its people."

Me? Retire?

While Chan on Tuesday reiterated that "CZ12" will be his "last major action film", he stressed that the movie will not be his last.

Even as he tours Asia to promote "CZ12" with his two gorgeous co-stars Yao Xingtong and Zhang Lanxin, Chan is already thinking about his next project.

He described his next movie, which is in its early planning stages, as a "very meaningful film", though he declined to give details.

The star, who has made a little over 100 films to date, said he will continue to "shoot other films with perhaps a little less action and more emotional scenes" in the future.

"It was really tough shooting 'CZ12'. I had thought about making 'CZ12' my retirement film, but I couldn't do it," said Chan.

"I still have films in my mind that I have yet to make. I will keep shooting films till I can't shoot anymore, or find a good excuse to retire."

"CZ12" opens in Singapore and across Asia on December 20.

Source: Channelnewsasia

lucychoi559 21 Dec, 2012


-
Source: http://tvbnewsworld.blogspot.com/2012/12/jackie-chan-from-drunken-master-to-man.html
--
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com

Post a Comment

emo-but-icon

Most Top Article

Follow Us

Hot in week

item